Wednesday 22 May 2013

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan

Pages: 310
Published: 5/4/2011
Publisher: Speak

Blurb : 

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

Review : 

The biggest compliment I can give this book is the fact I just couldn't put it down. I literally couldn't put it down, a spent a whole day reading it, a day i should have spent studying for upcoming exams. First of all, the book is written from two points of view, both David Levithan and John Green write from two different Will Grayson's perspective. Personally I found Green's Will easy to read. I found Levithan's Will hard to get used to, he writes in all lower case letters ( which is supposed to signify that he doesn't think much of himself) and all dialogue is written like an IM conversation. But as the book went on I realised  it really enhances the character. Before i began I thought this book would be really preachy, a book about gay people and how they're just the same as straight people. But really this is a book about love and being yourself, and some of the characters just happen to be gay. I know that sounds really cheesy but I promise it's not. I have always been a big fan of John Green, he has an effortless style that is easy to get stuck into. This is the first book I've read by David Levithan and I wasn't too enchanted  by his writing, but maybe that's just the style he's taken on for this character. Green and Levithan have created some really realistic, memorable characters in "Will Grayson, Will Greyson" and a captivating plot line.  I really recommend this book if you want a quick, easy and interesting read.

Four Stars **** 

No comments:

Post a Comment